Thursday, May 13, 2010

Leo



We have been foster parents now for 5 years. In those 5 years we have had Leo for almost 3 of them. This wednesday will be the last night he will spend in our home. This statement brings such sorrow to my heart...among the mixture of feelings that I am having.

When Leo came to live with us he was about 18 months old...a little thing just over 20 pounds. He was very timid and not trusting at all. He and Jared were just 8 months apart, so it was like having twins.

Throughout the time that Leo has been here he has grown inside and out. Up until the last few months, he was not a child to show affection or tell you that he loved you. He didn't like hugs, and if you were trying to show him affection he would turn you off like a switch. He has always been very good at tuning you out...a master.

Out of the blue, not long ago he just began to give hugs. Leo would even come up to you unexpectedly and want to give you sugar. Sugar, by the way, might be on your hand or arm or leg....you never knew. Then came the "I love you", which seemed to be only given to me and Shane.

I have always known in the back of my mind that Leo would go home. I remember saying last year that it wouldn't be so bad because he always kept us at arms length and didn't let us in. He busted that right out of the water as he let us into his heart. Now I am faced with the fact that he won't be here much longer.

I know that foster parenting is something that God has called me to do, and in saying that, that this is part of that job. I can't say that I would ever pick this for my life, but I know that God knows what He is doing. I also know that Leo was only meant to be with me for a short season, but one that was rich in seeds sown with love.

A man of God reminded me today of Moses and those seeds that were sown into him as a child, and the promises that we have that it is not for naught. As he grows I pray that he never forget the things that have been taught to him.

As Leo is taken out of my hands, I am placing him in the hands of God to protect him and to keep him.

No comments:

Post a Comment